Skip to main content

Severe esophageal damage caused by button battery ingestion in a 10-month-old infant


Foreign body ingestion is commonly encountered in infants and young children. Button batteries represent a special category of pediatric ingested foreign bodies because of the serious possibility of complications when impacted in the esophagus. Herein we report a case of emergency medicine in a 10-month-old infant who accidentally ingested a button battery, causing severe esophageal damage. He presented with excessive crying and decreased oral intake. A chest radiograph revealed a coin shadow at the mid-esophagus, which subsequently led to the diagnosis and removal of the object. Postoperative treatment options such as antireflux therapy, antibiotic therapy, steroids, and esophageal stenting, which are still controversial, have been discussed in this paper. With increasing accessibility to electronic toys and gadgets, accidental ingestion is on the rise in infants and young children. Judicious management should be tailored in every case.


  1. 1

    Maves MD, Carithers JS, Birck HG. Esophageal burns secondary to disc battery ingestion. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1984; 93(Pt 1):364–369.

    CAS  Article  Google Scholar 

  2. 2

    Raboei EH, Syed SS, Maghrabi M, El Beely S. Management of button battery stricture in 22-day-old neonate. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2009; 19: 130–131.

    CAS  Article  Google Scholar 

  3. 3

    Yardeni D, Yardeni H, Coran AG, Golladay ES. Severe esophageal damage due to button battery ingestion: can it be prevented? Pediatr Surg Int 2004; 20: 496–501.

    CAS  Article  Google Scholar 

  4. 4

    Hamilton JM, Schraff SA, Notrica DM. Severe injuries from coin cell battery ingestions: two case reports. J Pediatr Surg 2009; 44: 644–647.

    Article  Google Scholar 

  5. 5

    Imamoglu M, Cay A, Kosucu P, et al. Acquired tracheo-esophageal fistulas caused by button battery lodged in the esophagus. Pediatr Surg Int 2004; 20: 292–294.

    Article  Google Scholar 

  6. 6

    Litovitz TL. Button battery ingestions: a review of 56 cases. JAMA 1983; 249: 2495–2500.

    CAS  Article  Google Scholar 

  7. 7

    Houck JC, De Angelo L, Jacob RA. The dermal chemical response to alkali injury. Surgery 1962; 51: 503–507.

    CAS  PubMed  Google Scholar 

  8. 8

    Votteler TP, Nask JC, Rutledge JC. The hazard of ingested alkaline disc batteries in children. JAMA 1983; 249: 2504–2506.

    CAS  Article  Google Scholar 

  9. 9

    Saleem MM. Acquired oesophageal strictures in children: emphasis on the use of string-guided dilatations. Singapore Med J 2009; 50: 82–86.

    CAS  PubMed  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information



Corresponding author

Correspondence to Savita Lasrado MS, DNB.

Additional information

Conflicts of Interest

There are no conflicts of interest.

Rights and permissions

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article's Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article's Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this licence, visit

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Lasrado, S., Moras, K., Pinto, G.J.O. et al. Severe esophageal damage caused by button battery ingestion in a 10-month-old infant. Egypt J Otolaryngol 31, 204–206 (2015).

Download citation


  • accident
  • button battery
  • emergency medicine
  • esophageal injury
  • foreign body